Gr. 6 Space and Shape: Under Construction
Use direct and indirect measurement to solve problems.
Specific Outcomes Specific Outcomes
1. Demonstrate an understanding of angles by:
• identifying examples of angles in the environment
• classifying angles according to their measure
• estimating the measure of angles, using 45°, 90° and 180° as reference angles
• determining angle measures in degrees
• drawing and labelling angles when the measure is specified.
2. Demonstrate that the sum of interior angles is:
• 180° in a triangle
• 360° in a quadrilateral.
3. Develop and apply a formula for determining the:
• perimeter of polygons
• area of rectangles
• volume of right rectangular prisms.
3D Objects and 2D Shapes
Describe the characteristics of 3-D objects and 2-D shapes, and analyze the relationships among them.
4. Construct and compare triangles, including:
in different orientations.
5. Describe and compare the sides and angles of regular and irregular polygons.
Describe and analyze position and motion of objects and shapes.
6. Perform a combination of translations, rotations and/or reflections on a single 2-D shape, with and without technology, and draw and describe the image.
7. Perform a combination of successive transformations of 2-D shapes to create a design, and identify and describe the transformations.
8. Identify and plot points in the first quadrant of a Cartesian plane, using whole number ordered pairs.
9. Perform and describe single transformations of a 2-D shape in the first quadrant of a Cartesian plane (limited to whole number vertices).